|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Uruguay

Uruguay’s Main Ports Closed due to Heavy Winds

MONTEVIDEO – Uruguay’s main port of Montevideo on Thursday remains closed to all seagoing traffic and the country’s weather institute has declared an orange alert for eight central and southern provinces due to heavy winds, officials told EFE.

The capital’s port has been closed since 6:35 pm on Wednesday and no vessels may dock or set sail until port operations recommence, which will only be when the storm has abated, port authorities said.

Another of Uruguay’s most important ports, in the city of Colonia del Sacramento, the main terminal for maritime transport of passengers and vehicles to Buenos Aires, also informed EFE that operations had been suspended due to the storm.

Navy spokesman Gaston Juansolo said on Radio Uruguay that the port of Juan Lacaze, in the southwestern province of Colonia, is not operating either and the situation is being evaluated to decide what measures to take at the country’s other sea terminals.

The Uruguayan Meteorological Institute on Wednesday declared an orange alert for eight provinces that will be maintained until 6 pm on Thursday due to “very strong winds,” with gusts of up to 120 kilometers (about 75 miles) per hour along the country’s southeastern coast.

Specifically, the warning is in effect for the provinces of Canelones, Lavalleja, Montevideo, Florida, Treinta y Tres, Maldonado, Rocha and San Jose.

The navy spokesman said that Montevideo is experiencing sustained winds of about 75 km per hour, although windspeeds of 100 km per hour are possible, while in the eastern portion of Uruguay the windspeed could be higher.

On that basis, Juansolo recommended that no vessels put to sea for the next 48 hours, despite the fact that the storm is expected to begin to abate on Friday morning.

Local media have reported some fallen trees in the capital as a result of the storm, but Fire Department spokesman Mariela Vivone told the press that – so far – no serious situations have been reported to her department.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved