MONTEVIDEO – Uruguayan President-elect Tabare Vazquez said on Thursday that while his country will consider the possibility of accepting more refugees from war-torn Syria, there is no “established commitment” to doing so.
“We will study the issue in depth and then we will make decisions,” Vazquez told Radio El Espectador after a meeting in Montevideo with members of his future Cabinet and representatives from multilateral lending institutions.
Foreign Minister Luis Almagro said last week that the arrival of more Syrian refugees would have to wait until after the new administration takes office on March 1.
“I am in favor of moving forward in the most efficient and expeditious manner as allowed by circumstances, and taking into account that responsibilities are about to pass into other hands, maybe February is not the best month to do this,” Almagro told Radio Sarandi.
Five Syrian families, comprising a total of 42 people, who fled the civil war in their country were accepted in Uruguay last October as refugees on the order of President Jose Mujica.
At that point, Uruguay was expected to receive another seven Syrian families this month.