LA PAZ – The Bolivian government said on Wednesday that the opposition had already started campaigning, one year ahead of the 2019 election, with no program beyond defeating President Evo Morales.
“An early electoral campaign has already been launched,” Vice President Alvaro Garcia Linera told reporters during a press conference at the Palace of Government in La Paz.
Garcia Linera said that protests carried out during government officials’ public appearances in the last few weeks had been organized by “members of a political party.”
At the same time, he said that these actions by the rightist opposition “do not harm us, they harm themselves,” adding that “their only program is ‘no’.”
The vice president was referring to the “Bolivia said no” slogan that members of the opposition have used to recall that Bolivians rejected in a 2016 referendum the possibility that Morales, who has been president since 2006, run for reelection.
In 2017, however, Bolivia’s Supreme Court ruled that the country’s first indigenous head of state could run for a fourth term.
The opposition’s sole objective “is to make sure Evo is no longer president, but they have no alternative project for the country,” Garcia Linera said, insisting that the Bolivian right would only be taken seriously when it proposes a “credible” program for governing the Andean nation.
Evo Morales is currently the only known candidate for the 2019 presidential election.