|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Bolivia

China’s Sinosteel Signs Contract for Mill at Bolivia Iron-Ore Mine

LA PAZ – Bolivia’s government and state-owned Chinese company Sinosteel signed a contract Wednesday for the construction of a steel mill at the massive El Mutun iron-ore mine, a project that will involve an investment outlay of $422 million.

Bolivian President Evo Morales attended the signing ceremony in Puerto Suarez, a town on the Andean nation’s border with Brazil where the mine is located.

The contract marks Bolivia’s third attempt in the past 10 years to set up a steel-making facility to process the output from El Mutun. Previous efforts involving Brazilian company EBX and India’s Jindal failed.

Morales said in his speech that Sinosteel must build the mill in 30 months and then remain in the country for a year to provide operational assistance to Bolivian technicians, who also are to receive training at Chinese universities.

The plant will have the capacity to process 650,000 tons of raw mineral reserve annually to obtain 250,000 tons of sponge iron and 150,000 tons of construction steel, Morales said.

Of the sponge iron that is produced, roughly 86,000 tons will be exported, the government said.

A Chinese loan will cover 85 percent of the $422 million cost of the steel mill, while the Bolivian government will provide the remaining 15 percent.

Morales’ administration is aiming to achieve local production of high-quality construction steel, which would compete in the domestic market with imports from Argentina, Brazil and Peru.

The domestic construction steel market is valued at an estimated $380 million annually, according to the press.

Morales recalled the two previous failed attempts to produce steel at El Mutun, noting that EBX’s project was unviable because that company wanted to use vegetable carbon instead of natural gas for a proposed foundry and that Jindal had “failed to comply” with its investment obligations.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved