|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Bolivia

Strike Suspended in Potosi; Bolivian VP Declared “Persona Non Grata”

LA PAZ – The civic leaders in Bolivia’s southwestern Potosi region decided on the weekend to suspend the strike they have been staging since July 6 and declared Vice President Alvaro Garcia Linera and government ministers “personae non gratae,” saying that they had not contributed to resolving the conflict.

The suspension of the strike was decided upon on Saturday evening at a meeting of the institutions and unions comprising the Potosi Civic Committee, or Comcipo, which led the protests, a director of the entity, Rene Cruz, told Erbol radio on Sunday.

Cruz said that this is only a momentary pause because Potosi residents will remain under a state of “emergency” and continue their “constant vigilance,” resuming their protest at the “proper time.”

Local strike authorities also decided at the meeting to declare Garcia Linera and the ministers of President Evo Morales, along with Potosi lawmakers to be personae non gratae “for not giving a response and for not providing an immediate solution to the province of Potosi.”

The strike and the blockading of local roadways that have been under way since July 6 were staged to demand that the national government pay attention to a list of 26 demands for regional development, but they were suspended on Friday for 12 hours so that Potosi residents could stock up on food and withdraw money from local banks.

In addition, strikers also allowed the passage of hundreds of buses and trucks that had been halted for 26 days in the city, although on Saturday the strike was resumed and the roadways cut once again in anticipation of the results of a Comcipo meeting.

Potosi residents are demanding the construction of hydroelectric plants, three hospitals, more roads, glass and cement factories, an international airport and the preservation of Cerro Rico, where the environment has been significantly impacted by mining, among other things.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved