|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Argentina

Argentine Sub Still Missing, but Better Search Conditions Forecast

BUENOS AIRES – Two weeks after an Argentine navy submarine with 44 crewmembers on board disappeared, no sign of the vessel has turned up but 68 percent of the Atlantic Ocean zone where it is thought to be has been searched and in the coming hours weather conditions are forecast to improve, thus favoring the continued operation.

“We are continuing the search for the submarine with every effort. We’re using all the high technology equipment on eight vessels that are in the zone sweeping the ocean bottom, mapping its profile,” navy Capt. Enrique Balbi told reporters in Buenos Aires.

The military spokesman acknowledged that “it’s very difficult to estimate” when 100 percent of the search zone will have been scoured for the ARA San Juan since that will depend on the sea and weather conditions, which since the start of the search have not been optimum on many days.

Currently, 19 countries – including the US, Russia, Britain, Brazil and Spain, working with 4,040 personnel, 3,200 of them from the Argentine navy – are participating in the operation with 28 vessels, 16 of them Argentine, and nine aircraft, of which three are Argentine.

“They have come from all over the world to say: We want to help the Argentines. We want to give them our full support, the best technology to see if together we can find the submarine,” President Mauricio Macri said Wednesday, adding that the situation shows that the world “is giving (the country) a chance” to find the missing vessel and its crew.

During a speech at a school in the northern province of Corrientes, the president, remarked that thanks to his administration – and he has been in office for two years – there had been a change that has created “respect, admiration, (and) support (for Argentina) all over the world.”

The search zone – located some 430 kilometers (about 270 miles) off Argentina’s southern coast and limited to the area where an explosion was detected shortly after the sub vanished – covers some 40,000 square km (about 15,400 square miles), but the prime search area is only about a tenth of that.

Balbi said that on Wednesday the weather is good and on Thursday it is predicted to be “better,” with “waves just two meters (6.5 feet) high,” providing “very good” conditions for continuing the ocean floor radar sweep down to depths of between 200 and 1,000 meters.

The Norwegian vessel Sophie Siem is in the area carrying a US rescue mini-submarine that could be used to extract living crewmembers from a damaged and sunken sub.

In addition, on Wednesday night the Argentine naval vessel ARA Islas Malvinas will arrive at the port of Comodoro Rivadavia to take on board a Russian remote submersible vessel that can operate down to a depth of 1,000 meters.

Furthermore, the Russian scientific exploration ship Yantar with its high-tech inspection cameras and other equipment that can penetrate to a depth of 6,000 meters is expected to arrive in the area on Dec. 5.

Balbi, in his appearance before reporters on Wednesday, went on to criticize assorted erroneous or fake news reports saying, among other things, that the ARA San Juan had been located.

Most of the crew’s close family members are on hand in the city of Mar del Plata, which houses the navy base the sub was heading for from the far southern city of Ushuaia when contact with it was lost.

The navy on Wednesday reiterated that the last contact with the sub occurred at 7:30 am on Nov. 15 after the ARA San Juan’s captain reported that water had gotten into the vessel through the snorkel and caused a smoky short circuit in the batteries.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved