|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Argentina

Nine Barrick Gold Employees Face Continued Probe over Cyanide Spill in Argentina

BUENOS AIRES – Nine current and former Barrick Gold employees will continue to be investigated as suspects in the release of more than 1 million liters (around 283,000 gallons) of processing solution containing cyanide at the Veladero gold mine in the western Argentine province of San Juan, sources with the Canadian mining giant told EFE on Thursday.

San Juan-based Judge Pablo Oritja issued his ruling – made public on Thursday – after finding that the suspects acted negligently and that hazardous waste regulations were violated in last year’s incident.

Barrick’s Argentine unit responded by issuing a statement denying that any crime was committed and indicating that the accused will appeal the ruling.

“It’s important to highlight that the circumstances that triggered the incident were immediately resolved. The company implemented an action plan that corrected the causal factors ... and strengthened controls,” the statement said.

It added that following those actions authorities authorized the resumption of work at the mine.

“The incident posed no risk to people’s health or the environment,” the subsidiary of the Toronto-based mining company said.

Those affected by the court’s ruling are current and former managers and supervisors in the processing, risk prevention, and technical, maintenance and environmental services areas, according to local media.

The spill occurred on Sept. 12, 2015, due to a valve failure on a pipe carrying processing solution consisting mainly of fresh water and a small portion of diluted cyanide, an internal investigation found.

Some 1,072 cubic meters (283,208 gallons) of solution entered one of the mine’s diversion channels, which has a gate that should have been closed but was open at the time, the company said in a statement last September, adding that the open gate allowed the solution to bypass a containment pond and enter the Potrerillos River.

The company said then, however, that “at no time did cyanide levels in the downstream river system near communities exceed 0.1 parts per million total cyanide, the legal limit for safe drinking water in Argentina.”

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved