BUENOS AIRES – The government of Argentine President Cristina Fernandez on Thursday denounced an administrative court for overturning last month’s gubernatorial election in the northern province of Tucuman, warning of possible federal intervention if a new governor is not chosen before the incumbent’s term expires on Oct. 29.
Wednesday’s court order was “ridiculous, senseless and of rare institutional gravity,” Cabinet chief Anibal Fernandez (no relation to the president) said during his daily session with reporters, suggesting that the judges of the Tucuman Administrative Tribunal were motivated by politics.
“This must go to the Supreme Court,” Fernandez said. “I am quite sure that this will not be solved in Tucuman. It is one of history’s biggest judicial blunders, which constitutes a case of malfeasance, pure and simple.”
The final count of votes from the Aug. 23 poll, released Monday, ratified the victory of Juan Manzur, the candidate of President Fernandez’s Front for Victory, or FpV, with 51.64 percent of the vote, compared with 39.94 percent for Jose Cano, leading an alliance of opposition parties.
“There should be a federal intervention in the province if the provincial court does not respond,” the FpV leader in Tucuman, Marcelo Caponio, said on Thursday in an interview with Radio America.
Caponio said it wouldn’t be possible to hold another election before FpV incumbent Gov. Jose Alperovich ends his term and that in the absence of an elected successor, the federal government should take charge of the provincial administration.
The provincial Administrative Court said in its ruling that “the election in Tucuman shows evidences of a comprehensive fraud that goes beyond incidents on election day.”