|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Argentina

Nisman’s Ex-Wife Says Argentine Prosecutor Was Murdered

BUENOS AIRES – The ex-wife of late special prosecutor Alberto Nisman, who was found fatally shot in his Buenos Aires apartment on Jan. 18, hours before he was supposed to brief Argentina’s Congress about his accusations against President Cristina Fernandez, said Thursday that an independent forensic report shows that he was murdered.

“Alberto Nisman did not commit suicide. Alberto Nisman was murdered,” Judge Sandra Arroyo Salgado said in presenting the report at a press conference, adding that the forensic team also ruled out the possibility of an accident.

Arroyo Salgado, who is representing the couple’s two daughters in the investigation, also said no alcohol was found in his blood and there was no sign of cadaveric spasm, also known as “death grip,” a possible indicator of suicide.

Instead, Nisman died in agony and that is not compatible with cadaveric spasm, she was quoted as saying in Argentine media.

Nisman, whose death remains under investigation as “suspicious,” brought charges against Fernandez of trying to conceal Iranian involvement in a 1994 attack on a Jewish organization in Buenos Aires that left 85 people dead.

Nisman’s accusation against Fernandez cited the Memorandum of Understanding her administration signed with Iran in 2013 to facilitate the AMIA investigation as the principal instrument of the purported cover-up.

The late prosecutor said that intercepts of telephone calls among some of the prospective defendants – though not Fernandez or Foreign Minister Hector Timerman – showed the outlines of a plan for Argentina to get Interpol to rescind the red notices the international police agency had issued for the arrest of Iranians accused in the AMIA bombing.

But Argentine Judge Daniel Rafecas late last month dismissed the charges, saying the evidence does not provide even minimal support for the accusations against Fernandez, Timerman and six other people.

Many in the Argentine Jewish community believe the AMIA bombing was ordered by Iran and carried out by Tehran’s Hezbollah allies.

Both the Iranian government and the Lebanese militia group deny any involvement and the accusation relies heavily on information provided by the CIA and Israel’s Mossad spy agency.

Prosecutors have yet to secure a single conviction in the case.

In September 2004, 22 people accused in the bombing were acquitted after a process plagued with delays, irregularities and tales of witnesses’ being paid for their testimony.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved