BUENOS AIRES – Seven people died, one is missing and another 1,000 were evacuated as a result of the powerful downpours that drenched the central Argentine province of Cordoba on the weekend, the official news agency Telam said Monday.
The heavy rains on Sunday affected – above all – the provincial capital and the areas of Sierras Chicas and Punilla, which suffered significant material damage, flooding, blackouts and the overflowing of several rivers.
Officials with the Cordoba provincial government told Telam that so far seven people are known to have died, while one person remains missing.
Earlier in the day, Cordoba Gov. Jose Manuel de la Sota confirmed that “there are three people dead in the city of Rio Ceballos and two in Colonia Hogar,” located some 35 and 77 kilometers (22 and 48 miles) northwest of the city of Cordoba, respectively.
Firefighters, Civil Defense personnel and police are searching the area for more victims.
The Defense Ministry said in a communique that armed forces personnel have been deployed to help those affected by the storm.