|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Caribbean

Dominican Judge Resumes Hearing on Odebrecht Bribery

SANTO DOMINGO – Dominican Judge Francisco Ortega on Tuesday resumed the hearing to look into the bribery case involving a group of officials – including a government minister, politicians and local businessmen – and Brazil’s Odebrecht construction firm.

Ortega resumed the hearing after postponing it twice last week so that attorneys for the accused could receive and review copies of the indictment.

The hearing was held in the Supreme Court chambers, where the accused were transported under heavy security from the Palace of Justice in downtown Santo Domingo where they have been held since May 29.

The Public Ministry has asked that the defendants be held for 18 months pending trial.

Among the 10 defendants are Industry and Trade Minister Temistocles Montas and the chairman of the main opposition PRM party, Andres Bautista, along with businessman Angel Rondon, the former representative for Odebrecht and designated by the Public Ministry as the person who received and distributed the bribes.

Two senators from the governing PLD party and a PRM lawmaker are also under indictment but they have not been arrested while their respective legislative chambers decide whether or not to rescind their parliamentary immunity.

Another defendant is engineer Bernardo Castellanos, who is abroad and has said he will return to face the charges against him, although he has not done so yet.

The members of the group have all separately denied any links with the case, although they are charged with bribery, criminal association, illicit enrichment, money laundering and other crimes.

Shortly after his arrest, Montas said that in 16 years as a public official, he “had never been connected directly or indirectly with unseemly or illegal actions.”

The minister also put his Cabinet post at the disposal of President Danilo Medina, who has not commented publicly on the accusations against Montas.

In April, Odebrecht agreed to pay the Dominican government $184 million – double the amount of the bribes the firm paid between 2001-2014 to assorted officials to secure public works contracts – to settle the case.

Odebrecht also agreed to reveal the names of the individuals who accepted bribes in exchange for its employees not being charged with crimes in the Caribbean nation.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved