SAN JUAN – Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello said on Tuesday that calculations are that the value of material damage resulting from the violent demonstration earlier this week in San Juan is $1 million.
Rossello commented on the damage from Monday’s protest as he toured the zone to assess the vandalism perpetrated against stores, banks and other sites by masked demonstrators who had turned out, as part of a general strike, to express their opposition to government austerity measures and social spending cutbacks.
“All the damage from what occurred is more than $1 million. Let anyone with the intention (of causing similar damage) know that we’ve already arrested 17 people, that we have a task force viewing all the film evidence of what occurred. Here we’re going to cooperate with all the buildings and the personnel who were affected,” he added.
“We’re going to give zero impunity to these people,” he said, referring to the vandals.
Meanwhile, the president of Banco Popular, Richard Carrion, who was one of the people accompanying the governor on his tour, said that it pained him greatly “to see all this destruction.”
“I don’t think anyone in Puerto Rico is proud of what occurred yesterday,” he said.