|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Caribbean

Three Haitian Presidential Candidates Refuse to Accept Moise’s Victory

PORT-AU-PRINCE – Three Haitian presidential candidates said on Tuesday they would not accept the victory of Jovenel Moise, who won 55.67 percent of the vote in the Nov. 20 election.

Only 21 percent of eligible voters cast ballots.

The figures released Monday by Haiti’s Provisional Electoral Council, or CEP, show the candidate of the ruling PHTK with a massive lead over main challenger Jude Celestin, who got 19.52 percent.

“We do not recognize the preliminary results. We will contest them in the courts and we will also mobilize to defend our votes,” Celestin said, describing the CEP’s numbers as “prefabricated.”

The third- and fourth-place finishers likewise refused to concede.

“We know that the businessmen want Jovenel, but it’s the people who should decide. We will fight with all our strength,” said Moise Jean-Charles, with 11.04 percent of the vote.

Marysse Narcisse, the candidate of ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s Lavalas party, blasted the outcome as “an electoral coup” and called for a “general mobilization to defeat these gentlemen who want to exclude the majority.”

Jovenel Moise, meanwhile, urged his compatriots “to work together for a better Haiti.”

Incumbent Michel Martelly picked the banana exporter as the PHTK candidate in the October 2015 presidential election. Moise prevailed in that contest, but the results were ultimately thrown out due to serious irregularities.

A week after Martelly’s term officially ended in early February, Jocelerme Privert was named interim head of state pending a fresh vote.

That vote had been scheduled for Oct. 9, but was postponed because of the impact of Hurricane Matthew, which left 573 people dead, forced 175,000 from their homes and led to food shortages that have affected around 800,000 residents of the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere.

If Moise’s advantage in the preliminary results holds out, there would be no need for a second round of voting.

The definitive election totals will not be available for several weeks.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved