|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Mexico

First Migrants from New Caravan Submit Requests to Enter Mexico

SUCHIATE, Mexico – The first members of the new caravan of Honduran migrants arrived at the border between Guatemala and Mexico on Thursday and submitted immigration documents requesting asylum in the latter country.

About 100 people waited in a disciplined line, as instructed by personnel from Mexico’s National Migration Institute (INM), the institution that is distributing the ID cards designed to enable them to gain access to basic health services and secure employment on Mexican territory.

The INM said that it will accelerate the procedure for distributing the cards, trying to process each application within five days rather than the normal 30.

In addition, Mexican authorities increased the number of immigration agents on hand to deal with the heavy flow of people seeking entry into the country.

Upon entry, the migrants will be directed to a nearby shelter in the town of Suchiate, in the southern state of Chiapas.

In an interview with Milenio television, INM chief Tonatiuh Guillen ruled out the intervention of the Federal Police in the situation.

“The view of the situation that happened last year is completely ruled out, meaning that there will be no Federal Police at the border bridge. There will be no strategy of physical containment,” he said.

To enter Mexico, the caravan members need only show valid identification to be able to receive a wristband identifying them.

Tulio Marcia Caballero, one of the people waiting in line, told EFE that she and her family left their country seeking “a better opportunity” and hoping to find it in Mexico, ruling out – for now – continuing northwards to try and reach the United States.

Meanwhile, Mexican authorities are attending to the first 100 migrants and expecting another batch to arrive later on Thursday afternoon.

In recent days, at least two new caravans have set out from Central America, one consisting of about 1,700 Hondurans and another of about 100 Salvadorans.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved