MEXICO CITY – Hundreds of people affected last fall by a pair of powerful earthquakes held a demonstration in Mexico’s capital to demand greater support.
Monday’s protest coincided with the six-month anniversary of a Sept. 19, 2017, temblor that left 366 dead nationwide, including 238 fatalities in this capital.
People in different parts of Mexico City held a moment of silence at the precise minute that magnitude-7.1 earthquake rocked central and southern Mexico six months earlier.
After the commemoration, several groups of demonstrators gathered at the ruins of a collapsed building and marched to the capital’s downtown.
A magnitude-8.2 earthquake that struck on Sept. 7, 2017, and the magnitude-7.1 temblor 12 days later caused extensive damage to the Mexican capital and the states of Mexico, Oaxaca, Guerrero, Puebla and Tlaxcala.
The two quakes caused a total of 471 fatalities.
Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said Monday that a budget of 5 billion pesos ($268.5 million) had been earmarked for reconstruction work in 2018.
Those funds will be allocated for repairing damaged homes and road, water and school infrastructure, carrying out demolition activities, promoting social development, repairing street lighting and markets and assisting small businesses, Mancera said.
The Mexican president’s office said for its part in a statement that six months after the earthquakes “Mexicans are on our feet and working” on the reconstruction of the more 190,000 buildings that were damaged, including schools, houses and public and cultural infrastructure.
It confirmed that the earthquakes completely destroyed 60,000 homes and 210 schools throughout the affected area.