|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Mexico

Gangs Used Safe Deposit Boxes Seized in Mexican Resort City, Officials Say

CANCUN, Mexico – Criminal organizations used the safe deposit boxes seized in a raid on First National Security in the Mexican Caribbean resort city of Cancun, federal prosecutors said.

“These discoveries confirm for us that organized crime used these boxes to deposit the proceeds from crime and as a place to store information to commit more crimes,” said Alberto Elias Beltran, a federal prosecutor in charge of judicial and international affairs at the Attorney General’s Office.

The AG’s SEIDO organized crime unit has been conducting an investigation for several months in the southeastern state of Quintana Roo, where Cancun is located, targeting organized crime groups, Beltran said.

The seizures at First National Security gave investigators “a pretty clear idea of the use made by organized crime of safe deposit boxes,” Beltran said.

First National Security customers staged protests after 1,500 safe deposit boxes were seized on Oct. 9, demanding information about the legal status of their property from the AG’s office.

On Oct. 30, federal prosecutors finally released a statement saying that a judge had issued a search warrant for First National Security.

Prosecutors have returned the contents of safe deposit boxes to 292 First National Security customers so far, Beltran said.

First National Security customers have filed hundreds of complaints with state and national human rights agencies over the seizure of their property.

On Nov. 2, First National Security customers staged a protest in Cancun.

Protest organizers said the seizures at the safe deposit company had affected citizens of at least 20 countries.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved