MEXICO CITY The death toll from the earthquake last Sept. 19 in central Mexico has risen to 360 after rescue workers found the bodies of two people trapped in a building that collapsed in the capital.
In updating the preliminary number of those killed by the magnitude-7.1 quake, the national emergency management coordinator, Luis Felipe Puente, noted that 219 of the fatalities were in Mexico City.
There were also 74 deaths in Morelos, 45 in Puebla, 15 in Mexico State, six in Guerrero and one in Oaxaca, Puente said on his Twitter account.
Before dawn Saturday, around 5:00 am, rescue workers in a building at 286 Alvaro Obregon Ave. extracted the bodies of two people, a man and a woman.
Forty bodies had already been removed from that six-story building, 24 men and 16 women, after it collapsed from the seismic shift, Mexico City government representative Valentin Oņate told reporters.
Oņate said that two of those victims have not yet been identified.
Meanwhile, Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera told a press conference that 25 people who had been injured in the earthquake are still hospitalized, while in the last few hours five others were released from medical care.
Four of those hospitalized are in serious condition, while the rest expect to be released from hospital soon, Mancera said.