MEXICO CITY – The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in central Mexico has risen to 318, national emergency management chief Luis Felipe Puente said on Sunday.
The magnitude-7.1 earthquake on Sept. 19 killed 180 people in the capital, 73 in Morelos state, 45 in Puebla state, 13 in Mexico state, which surrounds the Federal District and forms part of the Mexico City metropolitan area, six in Guerrero state and one in Oaxaca state.
The death toll in Mexico City rose from 167 to 180 in the past few hours, while the figures for Morelos, Puebla, Mexico, Guerrero and Oaxaca have remained unchanged.
On Saturday, four people died as a result of a magnitude-6.1 aftershock that caused alarm in southern and central Mexico on.
Two women died from heart attacks in Mexico City after a seismic alert system was activated by the temblor.
Two other people died in southern Mexico on Saturday: a woman from Asuncion Ixtaltepec – a town in the southern Isthmus of Tehuantepec region – whose house collapsed and a man who was attacked by bees when a beehive fell to the ground during the aftershock.
Seismologists said Saturday’s temblor was an aftershock of the massive magnitude-8.2 earthquake that struck just off Mexico’s southern coast on Sept. 7, killing 98 people.
Last Tuesday’s earthquake, according to the most recent figures released by Mexico City’s government, killed 28 children.
Rescue teams have pulled 69 people out of the rubble, with 37 of the quake survivors still hospitalized.
Officials have inspected 7,649 buildings for earthquake damage, Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said in a press conference on Sunday.
The mayor denied reports on social media and in the press that 3,000 buildings were close to collapsing.
Of the 7,649 buildings inspected, 87 percent, or 6,640 structures, are safe and need just minor repairs, Mancera said.