|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Brazil (Click here for more)

Search for Survivors Continues after Building Collapse in Sao Paulo

SAO PAULO – Brazilian firefighters continued on Wednesday the search for survivors after a burning building collapsed in downtown Sao Paulo earlier this week, killing at least one person, officials said.

According to the fire department, at least 44 people were still missing following the blaze early Tuesday, although authorities have not been able to confirm whether they were inside the building during the collapse or if they were not there at the time.

The fire department has been clearing the rubble manually with 78 firefighters and 31 vehicles, since the use of machinery is only allowed after 48 hours.

The Wilton Paes de Almeida Building was a 24-storey high rise built in the 1960s that housed the headquarters of the Federal Police in Sao Paulo for close to two decades, although during the last few years it was occupied by squatters, including at least 50 homeless families.

The only known victim is a man, identified simply as Ricardo, who was close to being rescued by firefighters before the building crashed down, as was shown in shocking television footage.

Sergeant Diego Pereira da Silva Santos, who was attempting to rescue Ricardo from an adjacent building, said that “only 30 or 40 more seconds” were needed to save him.

The attorney general’s office of Sao Paulo said that an investigation filed in March regarding the building’s structural safety would be reopened.

In addition, the Mayor’s office said that the civil defense would inspect the structural safety of 70 buildings in Sao Paulo that are being squatted by close to 4,000 low-income families.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2020 © All rights reserved