QUITO – Ecuadorian authorities are investigating the disappearance of a man who went missing after being arrested last September by a police unit since disbanded for alleged abuses, Interior Minister Gustavo Jalkh said Tuesday.
He told Radio Quito that on Monday he presented before Attorney General Washington Pesantez all the information in his possession about reports of an alleged “illegal arrest” of four people and the disappearance of one of them.
“I went to the Attorney General’s Office to express our concern and to hand over additional information to be investigated,” Jalkh said, adding that he has asked a police high command “to be absolutely radical” in this case.
“We have no tolerance nor can there be any flexibility toward bad procedures, worse still considering how far this could go.”
“Weeks have gone by and we’re not satisfied with the level to which this investigation has been taken by the National Police,” the interior minister said.
He said that, together with Pesantez, the government is determined to “get to the absolute bottom of this case,” which “must be cleared up.”
Last year the government decided to abolish the police Operations Support Group, or GAO, following a “series of reports” about activities of its members, against whom certain disciplinary measures were applied, while some even had criminal cases opened against them.
“I understand that these are isolated incidents within the institution” of the police, “but we must be absolutely radical about this,” Jalkh said. EFE