QUITO – The Ecuadorian government announced the indefinite suspension of a power-rationing plan that had been in place since late last year due to low water levels at the country’s main hydroelectric plant, the acting electricity minister said Wednesday.
Miguel Calahorrano told the state-run El Ciudadano online newspaper that the decision was taken after a thorough analysis of the national electricity grid, the current water situation and the status of the country’s thermo-electric power plants.
“The results indicate that we’re now in a position to lift the cuts indefinitely. That means we could eventually find ourselves in a situation in which there may be a substantial drop in the water levels of the Paute (River), (which would necessitate) a return to rationing,” Calahorrano said.
He added, however, that authorities believe that is “quite unlikely.”
Ecuadorians were hit with rolling blackouts beginning in November due to low water levels at the Paute Dam in southern Ecuador. EFE