|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Ecuador (Click here for more)

Suspects in Killings of Argentine Tourists to Be Held in Ecuador, Judge Says

QUITO – A judge has ruled that the two men arrested in connection with the killings of two female Argentine tourists in Ecuador will be held in preventive detention, prosecutors said Tuesday.

The suspects, identified only as Segundo P. and Eduardo D., were arraigned on Tuesday, with prosecutors presenting technical and forensic evidence that “were crucial” in the judge’s ruling, the Attorney General’s Office said in a statement.

The bodies of Marina Menegazzo, 21, and Maria Jose Coni, 22, were found last week in Montañita, a coastal town in western Ecuador.

The two suspects met the young women and took them to a house, where they were killed, police said.

The young women’s relatives have questioned Ecuadorian officials’ version of events and said the tourists may have been killed by a people trafficking ring.

Prosecutor Juan Pablo Arevalo, who is handling the case, told the court that Segundo P. implicated Eduardo D. in the killings, “saying that he was with him at the house where the crimes occurred.”

Investigators who searched Segundo P.’s house found “apparent traces of blood and objects that may have been used to commit the double murder, including a knife,” Arevalo said.

President Rafael Correa said Tuesday that if the law allowed it and the victims’ relatives made a request, Ecuador would let forensic specialists from Argentina investigate the killings.

The young women’s relatives, according to press reports in Argentina, have asked Argentine President Mauricio Macri to send a forensic team to Ecuador.

The request is “absolutely understandable,” Correa said in an interview with the Ecuadorian Radio Broadcasters Association.

Relatives in the Argentine province of Mendoza said over the weekend that they last heard from Menegazzo and Coni on Feb. 22.

The two tourists were in Montañita on that day and planned to leave for Lima, Peru, where they were scheduled to take a flight on Feb. 25 to Santiago, Chile, before returning to Mendoza by bus.

The Argentine tourists were robbed at one place they stayed, did not have any cash and were thinking about hitchhiking for part of their route, relatives said.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved