|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Ecuador (Click here for more)

Ecuador President Denounces Threat of Attack on Him

QUITO – Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa on Tuesday denounced an apparent threat to attack him while he was making a tour of projects in the Tabacundo zone, some 60 km (37 mi.) north of Quito.

The president, in remarks to journalists, said that, after visiting several projects, he was scheduled to have lunch with a group of peasants but he received an alert from his security team regarding threatening messages that had been received by Tabacundo Mayor Frank Gualsaqui.

“What are you thinking? What do you think you are, the one who saved the town? We’ll kill you along with Correa, today, you’ll see,” reads the text of one of the messages received at 1:16 p.m. Later, Correa said, another message was received saying: “You’ll see today how many people will die, today in the park, it will be obvious.”

Correa, after reading the messages, said that his security team recommended that he suspend the activities he had planned to undertake during the afternoon, including eating with the peasants.

The president said that he receives these kinds of threats daily, but he added that by tracing the cellphone number from which the messages came, it was determined that they originated close to or at the site of the lunch, considerably raising the risk level.

If security officials would have determined that the messages came from distant places, perhaps there would have been no bigger “problem,” said Correa.

Therefore, he said, the people who had gathered for the lunch were evacuated and other events were suspended, to prevent a potential massacre.

“They’re investigating the case, the owner of the telephone was located, he’s being investigated. He says that he did not make the calls, they took his telephone from him,” but the inquiry is continuing, Correa added.

“In any case, given this serious threat and, above all, because the call came from the site of the event, we had to cancel the presence of the president at the lunch,” he said, offering to hold the event in the future.

“If this is true, it’s a group of people (who are involved). Very probably it’s not true, but rather an outburst by some scatterbrained person,” said the president.

Correa noted that he had also moved up his meeting with the reporters and that the site of the press conference was changed.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved