QUITO – Sixty people have been found guilty for the deeds of Sept. 30, 2010, when a police revolt was staged that is seen by the government as an attempted coup, Ecuador’s attorney general said Tuesday.
“We have tried... 96 people in the ‘30-S’ case, of whom 60 were found guilty,” Galo Chiriboga told a press conference, adding that the 36 other defendants had been acquitted.
On Sept. 30, 2010, a protest by police officers over salary issues led to a large-scale uprising in which President Rafael Correa was attacked and had to take refuge in a police hospital.
The president, who had gone to the scene of the protest to speak with the cops about their salary dispute, was rescued in a military operation mounted that night amid an intense gun battle.
Correa feels that the events of that day, when about 10 people were killed around the country, were a coup attempt instigated by opposition groups and “bad officers” within the police.
Chiriboga said that the investigation into the matter was “complex” and, by way of example, added that to determine who killed a student during the revolt authorities had to examine around 150 police service weapons to identify the one that fired the fatal shot.
The AG said that on Aug. 1 six former police officers were sentenced to 12 years in prison for the attempted murder of the president.