The World Bank's Internatonal Finance Corporation (IFC) Gender Secretariat is seeking a Consultant to support IFC’s efforts to improve working conditions and employment opportunities for women in the private sector.
Job Title: Consultant, IFC Gender Secretariat
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused exclusively on the private sector. We help developing countries achieve sustainable growth by financing investment, mobilizing capital in international financial markets, and providing advisory services to businesses and governments.
IFC’s Gender Secretariat is seeking a Consultant to support IFC’s efforts to improve working conditions and employment opportunities for women in the private sector. The Gender Secretariat supports the focus on gender as a corporate strategy by fostering increased inter-departmental and regional gender work. The Secretariat works with a broad section of colleagues to support activities that enhance IFC’s capacity to successfully deliver gender informed programming and investing. The Gender Secretariat is led by a Gender Steering Committee that provided strategic direction and thought leadership on gender at the corporate level. The Secretariat also coordinated a world-wide Gender Network comprised of regional gender coordinators and industry gender focal points. This new structure will further enable gender uptake across investment and advisory services, and increase collaboration with the World Bank Group and external partners.
Duties & Accountabilities:
• Provide operational support to global partnerships with the private sector on women’s employment. Includes managing membership relations, recruiting new members, and organizing technical meetings.
• Support development, piloting and scale up of IFC’s product offering on women’s employment, including assessment tool and guidance notes.
• Help drive uptake of IFC’s product offering on women’s employment across relevant industry departments by contributing to training and strategic guidance to investment officers.
• Help coordinate IFC’s internal working group on women’s employment consisting of a team of 25 individuals from across IFC’s industry departments and advisory business lines.
• Identify and cultivate strategic partnerships on women’s employment to enhance development impact of IFC’s operational work.
• Support corporate initiatives including the IFC CEO Gender Award nomination process, International Women’s Day events, and Annual/Spring meeting gender events.
• Support the development, packaging and dissemination of women’s employment knowledge products.
• Help identify best practices and innovative approaches to promoting women’s employment, with a focus on documenting the business case.
• Serve as peer reviewer to relevant IFC/World Bank publications ensuring quality control and consistent brand.
• Contribute to the development of internal/external communications products on women’s employment (i.e. fact-sheets, blogs, press releases, webinars).
• Draft talking points/briefings on women’s employment for senior management as needed.
• Ensure that IFC is represented at relevant global conferences, events and fora.
• Master’s degree in international development related discipline (i.e. economics, business, public policy or related field).
• 2-4 years of relevant experience in international development.
• Knowledge and experience with women’s employment and private sector development issues.
• Proven leadership abilities with project manager experience.
• Strong organizational skills and experience in managing complex tasks and projects.
• Ability to think analytically and strategically. Research, quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; self-driven, highly motivated; proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Experience working in an international organization.
• Excellent writing abilities, persuasive oral communication skills.
• High proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
This is a short-term consultant position (up to 150 days) starting October 1, 2014. To apply, please email cover letter and resume to Nasim Novin (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 19, 2014 with the subject line “Application-IFC Gender Secretariat Consultant.”