LONDON – The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have filed a complaint against a photographer for trying to take unauthorized photos of their son, Prince George, a spokeswoman for Prince William and Princess Katherine said on Thursday.
“The Duke and Duchess have taken legal steps to ask that an individual ceases harassing and following both Prince George and his nanny as they go about their ordinary daily lives,” the spokeswoman told reporters.
“An incident last week has prompted their royal highnesses to seek reasonable assurances from the individual about his behavior. The individual was spotted at a central London park in the vicinity of Prince George, who was removed from the park immediately,” she added.
“There is reason to suspect that the individual may been placing Prince George under surveillance and monitoring his daily routines for a period of time,” the spokeswoman said.
“Just like any parent, The Duke and Duchess want Prince George to have the freedom to safely experience normal childhood activities, like going to the park and playing with other children, without the threat of harassment or being placed under surveillance.”
“The Duke and Duchess understand the particular public role that Prince George will one day inherit but while he is young, he must be permitted to lead as ordinary a life as possible,” she said.
“No parent would tolerate the suspicion of someone pursuing and harassing their child and carer whilst their child is playing in a public park or going about their daily activities.”
The Evening Standard newspaper reported that a photographer was seen taking pictures of the toddler prince in a London park. Another one was also seen close to a gate at Buckingham Palace gate, where Prince George goes to the private pool with his nanny.