LOS ANGELES – Film and television shooting can resume in California as early as June 12, according to officials in the state that has approved new safety protocols to be followed on sets to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The entertainment industry has been shut down for about three months now that has crippled the industry.
California Department of Public Health said on Friday that Hollywood productions will have to get approval from local health officials to resume filming within the jurisdictions of operations for their review.
The authorities said film industry workers, including actors, technicians as well as other crew members, will have to follow new safety protocols “to reduce the risk for infection.”
The reopening from June 12 will apply to film, television, and music video production.
“Music, TV and film production may resume in California, recommended no sooner than June 12, 2020, and subject to approval by county public health officers within the jurisdictions of operations following their review of local epidemiological data including cases per 100,000 population, rate of test positivity, and local preparedness to support a health care surge, vulnerable populations, contact tracing and testing,” the department said.
“To reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission, productions, cast, crew and other industry workers should abide by safety protocols agreed by labor and management, which may be further enhanced by county public health officers.”
It said that the back-office staff and management should adhere to office workspace guidelines published by the California Department of Public Health and the California Department of Industrial Relations.
Awaiting the announcement of California Governor Gavin Newsom on safety protocol for production, the industry earlier this week revealed its proposal to return to sets safely.
Major film and television unions and big studios have endorsed the plan.
Checking the temperature of the employees, eliminating buffet-style food catering, making it compulsory for the live audience to wear masks, and limit the number of team members on the sets are some of the new guidelines for resuming filming safely.
The health crisis due to the COVID-19 pandemic had devastating consequences on Hollywood, which was compelled to suspend all its shootings, including, among others, the sequels of blockbusters like “Avatar,” “Mission: Impossible 7,” “Jurassic World: Dominion,” “The Batman,” and “The Matrix.”
Movie theaters were also affected with the complete closure of the cinema that led to delay in the release of films such as “No Time to Die,” (James Bond), “F9” (Fast & Furious), “Mulan,” “Black Widow,” “Wonder Woman 1984,” “Ghostbusters: Afterlife,” “Top Gun: Maverick,” and “Soul.”