CAIRO – Egyptian antiquities authorities inaugurated on Sunday the restored tomb of an ancient priest and his wife, along with another tomb of a scribe, both located in the necropolis of Dra’ Abu el-Naga’ in the southern city of Luxor.
The first mausoleum (designated TT159) belonged to the fourth priest of Amun and his wife, both of whom lived during the 19th Dynasty (1295-1186 BC). The tomb includes funerary scenes and representations of an ancient book about the afterlife, according to a statement from the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities.
The walls of the other tomb (TT286), of a scribe of the god Amun from the 20th dynasty (1186-1069 BC), are decorated with colorful funeral scenes and others about everyday life.
The restoration operation was a joint project between the American Research Center and the Egyptian ministry funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID). The US international aid organization contributed about $2.14 million to the project.
Egyptian Antiquities Minister Khaled El-Anany hailed the restoration efforts to preserve the country’s ancient heritage, stressing that archaeological cooperation between the US and Egypt will to continue.
Dra’ Abu el-Naga’ is one of several necropolises located on the West Bank of the Nile River, in Luxor, adjacent to the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens, where ancient nobles were buried.
In recent years, Egypt has announced a series of discoveries aimed at encouraging tourism, a sector that has seriously suffered following the post-2011 turmoil in the Arab country.