LONDON – London theater The Old Vic said on Thursday that it had received 20 personal testimonies alleging that its former artistic director and renowned United States actor had behaved inappropriately.
The theater said an investigation had been carried out into allegations concerning Kevin Spacey, who was artistic director at The Old Vic from 2004 to 2015.
“The investigation resulted in 20 personal testimonies shared of alleged inappropriate behavior carried out by Kevin Spacey during his time as Artistic Director,” The Old Vic said in a statement.
The statement added that “appropriate escalation processes” were in place, but in spite of this “those affected felt unable to raise concerns.”
The theater said this was not acceptable and apologized “for not creating an environment or culture where people felt able to speak freely.”
The theater’s chairman, Nick Clarry, said that the venue would strive to “foster a safe and supportive environment without prejudice, harassment or bullying of any sort, at any level.”
“No legal claims, formal grievances, formal disputes, settlement agreement or payments made or authorized were made at all in relation to Kevin Spacey during his tenure,” the theater pointed out.
Several allegations of harassment or sexual misconduct have been leveled at 58-year-old Spacey in recent weeks, most of them from men, serving a blow to the star’s reputation and career.
In light of the allegations, Spacey was said to be seeking “evaluation and treatment.”
US streaming giant Netflix has sought to break off ties with the actor, dropping a biopic of writer Gore Vidal and suspending production of its popular “House of Cards” series in which Spacey portrays the lead role of Frank Underwood, a fictional US president.