LONDON – Romania’s Simona Halep finished the year ahead of the Women’s Tennis Association rankings released on Monday, while Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki came in third.
Wozniacki, 27, climbed three spots after she beat American Venus Williams, who occupied the fifth place, to win her first WTA Finals title in Singapore on Sunday, leaving Ukrainian Elina Svitolina in the sixth spot.
Spaniard Garbiñe Muguruza remained in the second spot, while Czech Karolina Pliskova fell to the fourth.
The current WTA Top 10 rankings and point scores are as follows:
- Simona Halep (Romania) 6,175 points
- Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 6,135
- Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 6,015
- Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 5,730
- Venus Williams (United States) 5,597
- Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 5,500
- Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia) 5,010
- Caroline Garcia (France) 4,420
- Johanna Konta (Britain) 3,610
- Kristina Mladenovic (France) 2,885