BEIJING – The Chinese government said on Friday that a renewed United States travel warning for its citizens visiting China did not hold up, citing the large number of Americans that visited the country last year.
“The travel advice does not hold water. From January to December, the American people that traveled to China reached 2.3 million, higher than the number of Chinese people traveling to the US,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang told reporters in Beijing.
“In recent years, the US has used all kinds of excuses to erect barriers against Chinese citizens entering the US,” Lu said, adding that they hoped that Washington would contribute more towards building “mutual trust and exchanges between two countries, instead of doing the opposite.”
The spokesperson stressed that China facilitates the entry and exit of tourists in the country.
“As for foreign citizens suspected of violating laws in China, the Chinese competent authorities always deal with them in accordance with the laws,” Lu said.
On Thursday, the US government updated its travel advisory, urging citizens traveling to China to exercise caution on account of the arbitrary application of local laws, and the non-recognition of the double nationality of Chinese Americans.