CANBERRA – Australia is deeply concerned over North Korea’s latest ballistic missile launch into the Sea of Japan, Australia’s Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said on Wednesday.
In a meeting with foreign correspondents, Bishop said Australia condemned North Korea’s acts and urged them to return to talks.
“We condemn North Korea’s actions and urge the regime to cease their illegal threatening and provocative behavior and return to the negotiating table,” Bishop said.
According to the Pentagon, the missile could be an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), and flew higher than the two others North Korea had launched earlier in July.
At the meeting, Bishop reiterated that Australia backs diplomatic and economic sanctions on North Korea, as well as military measures taken by the United States, Japan and South Korea to force the country to abandon its weapons program.
She also confirmed Australia will impose unilateral sanctions on another 11 individuals and nine entities over their links to North Korea’s illegal weapons programs or for flouting UN Security Council resolutions.
Japan, South Korea and the US have requested a United Nations Security Council meeting over the latest missile launch.