|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

Colombian Government, ELN Wrap Up Talks without Reaching New Ceasefire Deal

HAVANA – Colombia’s outgoing government and the Andean nation’s last remaining guerrilla group concluded their sixth and final round of talks on Wednesday without reaching a temporary ceasefire deal, a step considered essential to further advances in the peace process.

“The goal of achieving a ceasefire was not achieved, but quite a lot of progress was made,” the government’s chief negotiator, Gustavo Bell, said of the discussions with representatives of the National Liberation Army (ELN).

He stressed that a truce was “necessary to provide society with guarantees for directly participating in the construction of peace.”

An earlier three-month ceasefire agreement between the government and the ELN expired in January.

No more rounds of talks will take place during the tenure of President Juan Manuel Santos, who will step down on Aug. 7.

The ELN has said it is willing to resume talks with the new administration headed by Ivan Duque, although the conservative president-elect has not issued a statement on the future of the negotiations.

The two parties said in a statement to reporters that major strides had been made in the sixth round of negotiations toward both a temporary bilateral ceasefire and the design of a plan for societal participation in the peace process.

Bell said Duque would have to decide how to proceed with the process, although he recalled that Colombia’s charter states that “peace is a constitutional right and duty.”

The ELN’s chief negotiator, Pablo Beltran, said for his part that in recent days the parties made significant progress in sketching out a new ceasefire deal and that the guerrilla group expected that the advances made in the sixth round would serve as a foundation for a seventh round of talks with the new administration.

He also expressed confidence that a truce would “provide protection for many sectors of Colombian society, social leaders, activists that today are the target of persecution and genocide.”

The public phase of talks between the ELN and the Colombian government began in February 2017 in Quito but were moved in May of this year to Havana, where a historic peace deal with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group was brokered in 2016.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved