|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

Colombian Ex-Guerrillas to Take Part in Environmental Sustainability Program

BOGOTA – More than 1,000 former members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group will be taking part in a United Nations-backed environmental sustainability program that was presented on Friday.

A total of 3,800 people are expected to take part in the program, 30 percent of whom will be former FARC members and the remaining 70 percent members of rural communities in three areas where the ex-combatants have gathered ahead of their reincorporation into civil society.

The program, which has a $3.5 million budget, is being financed by the Norwegian government and will be implemented by the Environment Ministry, the Norwegian Council on Refugees, the UN Development Program (UNDP) and the FARC.

“This is the moment of truth,” UNDP Colombia Director Pablo Ruiz said, referring to the FARC’s transition to civilian life after signing a peace agreement with the government last November and handing over their weapons to a UN mission in 2017.

The former combatants are currently in 26 territorial spaces for training and reincorporation that are located in remote areas of Colombia.

The program will take place in three of those areas: Miravalle, in the southern municipality of San Vicente del Caguan; Buenavista, in the central municipality of Mesetas; and Playa Rica, in the central municipality of La Macarena.

Its components include construction of a shared environmental vision for those territories with a view to identifying possible environmental initiatives; technical and complementary training; financial and technical support for the identified initiatives; and training in environmental conflict resolution, according to the Environment Ministry’s Web site.

In that regard, Ruiz said the program was aimed at achieving two main objectives – reincorporating former FARC combatants into society and combating the country’s severe deforestation problem.

The program is initially scheduled to last for 18 months.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved