|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

Colombia Landslide Death Toll Rises to 273

MOCOA, Colombia – The death toll from the landslides that destroyed part of Colombia’s southern city of Mocoa has risen to 273, according to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.

“We have counted the number of people who have unfortunately died. The latest figure is 273 people dead and 262 injured,” Santos told reporters at a press briefing in Mocoa, capital of the southern department of Putumayo.

He added that 193 autopsies have been performed and 100 bodies have been delivered to relatives.

Santos also inspected all activities that his government has been carrying out to assist the residents of Mocoa, a city home to more than 45,000 people.

He said the next phase of the government’s efforts will be focusing on “prevention and public health,” with a vaccination campaign against tetanus, hepatitis A, chickenpox, whooping cough and rabies.

Santos said there are five places being prepared as shelters, which will be equipped with water, electricity and food.

“There are 2,700 people in shelters and the idea is to evacuate schools as soon as possible so that children can return to class,” he said.

The mudslides in the southern Colombian city were caused by the overflow of three rivers as a result of a heavy downpour on Friday night, which subsequently swept away several neighborhoods.

Santos also declared on Monday a state of economic, social and ecological emergency to deal with the tragedy, and appointed Defense Minister Luis Carlos Villegas as manager of the reconstruction work.

“There has been a full process of identifying the victims. There are already 255 people registered and we hope to finalize that number by the end of the week,” Santos added.

The president also noted that thousands of toilet kits, blankets, mats and masks have been distributed so far, as well as 31 tank trucks for water distribution and five drinking-water plants.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved