|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

FARC Asks Santos to Stop Peasant Leaders’ Killings and Apply Peace Accord

HAVANA – The FARC requested on Monday that Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos take a position against the killing of peasant leaders, a circumstance that “threatens” the recently achieved peace accord, whose security guarantees the guerrilla group seeks to have enforced immediately.

“Commitment to peace in Colombia means ending this slaughter of innocents, whose only misdeed seems to be thinking critically and having a new vision of their country, by immediately enforcing the agreement on security guarantees,” the FARC central joint chiefs of staff said.

The letter to Santos was issued with little time left – the exact date has not yet been officially announced – before the signing of the peace accord that was reached last Nov. 12 between the government and the insurgent group. Some Colombian media say it could be a matter of hours.

In a note provoked by “pain and indignation,” the insurgents asked the president to “establish his position and his commitment, not to the FARC, but to the Colombian people in general, by doing away with (what they call) ‘the Pistol Plan,’ which is being carried out against popular leaders around the country.”

So far this year, it said, some 200 people have been killed “under a complete cloak of impunity” and “a new genocide is now underway against social leaders and peasants.”

The FARC message listed several cases that occurred just this week, and which included three deaths and two attacks.

Killed over the past few days were Erley Monroy, found wounded near a military battalion in San Vicente del Caguan, Caqueta province, and who later died in hospital; Didier Losada, slain at his home in La Macarena municipality, Meta province, by a hooded killer; and Rodrigo Cabrera in Nariño province.

The FARC told Santos that admitting government responsibility in the “extermination of more than 5,000 leaders of the Patriotic Union” was an important step, but said “if there is a determination to end the dirty war, why is there no decision to effectively dismantle the paramilitary?”

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved