|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

Colombian Government, FARC Delegates Say They Remain Open to Peace-Deal Proposals

HAVANA – Negotiators from the Colombian government and FARC guerrillas said Friday in Havana they would continue to listen to proposals from different organizations and individuals with a view to reaching a revised peace agreement.

“Swiftly and in pursuit of a quick result, we’ll continue to listen to a significant number and diverse range of organizations and individuals from (different spheres) of national life ... including those who abstained from voting” in the Oct. 2 referendum on the peace deal, they said in a statement.

It marked the first time the negotiators had issued a joint statement since restarting peace talks last Saturday in Havana in search of a new definitive agreement acceptable to a majority of Colombians.

“The proposals are being discussed with the utmost care. Many of them have been incorporated into the texts of a new agreement,” the two sides said in the statement, which was read by the chief negotiators from the government, Humberto de la Calle, and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, Ivan Marquez.

Both delegations said they had analyzed the proposals for adjusting the accord signed late last month, although they insisted the agreement that was narrowly rejected by voters in the plebiscite already has the necessary elements to lay the foundations for peace and guarantee an end to the decades-old armed conflict.

They said the negotiating teams would resume their talks in the Cuban capital on Nov. 3.

On Sept. 26, the government and the FARC signed a peace agreement that was the fruit of nearly four years of talks in Havana aimed at ending Latin America’s longest-running armed conflict.

But after the “no” vote prevailed by a slim margin in an Oct. 2 national referendum on the peace deal, the president needs to seek a consensus through talks with former President Alvaro Uribe and the other main critics of the accord.

Santos said Friday he had ordered the government’s negotiators to return home from Havana so they can take part in a meeting Saturday with peace-deal opponents and inform him of the progress made in their post-referendum talks with the FARC.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved