|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Venezuela (Click here for more Venezuela news)

Venezuelan Opposition Leader Back under House Arrest

CARACAS – A prominent Venezuelan opposition leader who had been transferred to a military prison has now been put back under house arrest at his Caracas residence, his wife said on Friday.

Antonio Ledezma, the incumbent metropolitan mayor of the Venezuelan capital, was returned to his home by the country’s intelligence service (SEBIN) after spending several days at the Ramo Verde penitentiary, according to his wife, Mitzy Capriles.

“I’m informing the country that a few minutes ago, SEBIN surprisingly brought Antonio back to our residence. He’s returning to the home-prison,” Capriles posted on Ledezma’s official Twitter account.

She added that her husband “said upon entering the apartment that he was returning with the anguish of knowing (fellow opposition leader) Leopoldo (Lopez) and more than 600 political prisoners remain behind bars.”

SEBIN transferred Ledezma and Lopez from house arrest to Ramo Verde – outside Caracas – early on Aug. 1, two days after a Constituent Assembly election that was slammed by the opposition and much of the international community as a cynical ploy to consolidate President Nicolas Maduro’s power and sideline the opposition-controlled legislature.

The Supreme Court had said after the transfer that the two opposition leaders, both of whom had posted videos online criticizing the Constituent Assembly, were moved because they were plotting to escape.

Lopez’s family members say they do not know if the founder and leader of the Popular Will opposition party will also be returned to house arrest.

Lopez was convicted in 2015 of inciting violence during anti-government protests the year before and sentenced to nearly 14 years behind bars. He was moved to house arrest last month.

Ledezma, who has been charged with plotting to overthrow the government, was first placed under house arrest in 2015.

The 545-member Constituent Assembly, which is made up exclusively of Maduro allies and will be tasked with rewriting the nation’s constitution, will meet for the first time on Friday at the headquarters of the unicameral National Assembly.

Maduro has touted the assembly as necessary to lift Venezuela, which has been racked by months of violent opposition-led protests, out of political deadlock and a deep economic crisis.

But Venezuela’s opposition, which has been stymied in its efforts to oust Maduro via a recall referendum, says it is merely a mechanism to increase the president’s stranglehold on power.

The United States imposed sanctions against Maduro on Monday, accusing him of human rights violations and authoritarianism and freezing any assets he may have in the US.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved