CARACAS – At least one person was killed and another 48 were injured on Monday in Caracas during opposition marches that attempted to reach the headquarters of the National Electoral Council (CNE) downtown in the capital, officials said.
The Attorney General’s Office announced on Twitter that a 17-year-old boy died of a gunshot wound “during a demonstration in Altamira” in the Chacao municipality on the capital’s east side.
The mayor of Chacao, opposition member Ramon Muchacho, reported the death and expressed his “most heartfelt condolences” to the youth’s family and friends.
Some opposition leaders have said that troops of the militarized Bolivarian National Guard (GNB) were responsible for the adolescent’s death, a charge the AG’s office has not confirmed.
Meanwhile, the director of the Salud Chacao medical center, Enrique Montbrun, said on Union Radio that the 48 injured had been the targets of buckshot and tear gas.
For his part, Muchacho said on Twitter that the medical center in his jurisdiction, Salud Chacao, had attended 11 people – five for traumas, four for buckshot wounds and two for suffocation.
The march, called “All for Caracas,” was an outcry against the idea of convening a National Constitutional Assembly (ANC) to write a new constitution and reestablish the institutions of the state.
For some 80 days the oil-producing nation has been shaken by sometimes violent demonstrations for and against the Nicolas Maduro government, leaving some 75 fatalities including the teenager slain on Monday, and more than 1,000 people injured, according to figures of the AG’s office.