|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Main headline

Chilean Court Won’t Indict Bachelet for 2010 Tsunami Deaths
The former Chilean president has testified twice, once in writing and once in person, regarding the question of the responsibility she may bear in the tsunami alert that followed the earthquake and which prosecutors say – if it had been timely and executed properly – could have prevented numerous deaths

SANTIAGO – A Chilean court on Monday rejected a request to indict former President Michelle Bachelet for the 156 deaths blamed on a botched tsunami warning after the magnitude-8.8 earthquake of Feb. 27, 2010.

The request was presented by Raul Meza, the attorney for relatives of some of the victims.

Bachelet has testified twice, once in writing and once in person, regarding the question of the responsibility she may bear in the tsunami alert that followed the earthquake and which prosecutors say – if it had been timely and executed properly – could have prevented numerous deaths.

The temblor caused 526 deaths in all, of which 156 occurred as a result of the tsunami that wiped out several coastal and island communities.

Bachelet left office within weeks of the quake as her four-year term ended.

The new mention of Bachelet in the case comes just days before she returns to Chile, possibly to seek another term as head of state in the November elections, after having resigned the executive directorship of UN Women some days ago.

The chairman of Bachelet’s Socialist Party, Osvaldo Andrade, said last week that after her arrival she would issue a statement regarding her view of a new presidential candidacy.

Chilean navy commander Edmundo Gonzalez acknowledged in May 2010 that his service was at fault for canceling the tsunami warning issued after the massive quake.

The navy “relaxed a little” after its hydrographic service cancelled the tsunami warning issued immediately after the quake, Adm. Gonzalez told members of a congressional investigative committee.

Gonzalez said he did not have all relevant information at the time the naval hydrographic service decided to lift the tsunami alert.

A similar lack of complete data led others, including then-President Bachelet, to make flawed decisions as they struggled to cope with the emergency, the navy chief said. EFE


 

 

Xbox Live Gratuit
Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2009 © All rights reserved