|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

Colombian Armed Forces Kill Dozens of Rebels on Bombardment of Camp
The bombardment occurred on Saturday night outside Ricaurte, a city in southwestern Colombia near the border with Ecuador, authorities said

BOGOTA – Dozens of guerrillas from the Mariscal Sucre unit of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group died in the military bombardment of a camp in Nariño province, army spokesman Col. Luis Emilio Cardoso said.

At least 20 rebels died in the raid, media reports said.

Cardoso, however, said the Attorney General’s Office was in charge of removing the bodies and had not yet released a body count.

The bombardment occurred on Saturday night outside Ricaurte, a city in southwestern Colombia near the border with Ecuador, Cardoso said.

The death toll from the bombardment is at least 20, army Brig. Gen. Jorge Alberto Segura told Caracol Radio.

Last week, the first round of talks in Havana between the Colombian government and the FARC ended with progress on mechanisms for incorporating civil society into the negotiating process, which is aimed at bringing an end to a decades-long armed conflict.

Negotiators representing President Juan Manuel Santos’s administration and the guerrillas will resume talks on Wednesday after the two sides agreed to organize a citizens’ forum on agrarian policy and to launch a Web site for receiving proposals from the general public.

The accord establishing a framework for the peace process was signed on Aug. 26 in Havana after six months of secret exploratory discussions on the communist-ruled island under the auspices of the Cuban and Norwegian governments.

The initial phase of the talks began on Nov. 19.

The most recent peace process with the rebels, during the 1998-2002 government of President Andres Pastrana, took place in a demilitarized area of southern Colombia – dubbed “Farclandia” – and collapsed amid mutual recriminations.

The FARC has battled a succession of Colombian governments since 1964. The insurgency swelled to nearly 20,000 fighters in the early 2000s, but now numbers around 8,500 combatants.

Colombia’s armed forces, bolstered by billions of dollars of aid from the United States, have scored dramatic successes against the FARC in recent years, but the rebels remain capable of inflicting significant damage on the military and on vulnerable infrastructure. EFE


 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved