CANCUN, Mexico – Gunmen opened fire on a hotel and several other businesses in downtown Cancun, a resort city on Mexico’s Caribbean coast, killing one person, officials said.
The attacks occurred around 3:00 a.m. Wednesday in Cancun, a popular tourist destination located within the municipal limits of the city of Benito Juarez.
The attacks were staged to sow fear among business owners and residents, Quintana Roo state Attorney General Gaspar Armando Garcia Torres said.
Investigators have determined that the attacks were “apparently isolated” incidents, Garcia Torres said.
Gunmen targeted businesses along Yaxchilan avenue and 25-year-old Valerio Cohou Noh was gunned down a short distance away some 10 minutes later, the AG said.
Three gunmen riding in an SUV opened fire on a hotel, at least three bars, a pharmacy, a doctor’s office and a lingerie shop, Garcia Torres said.
At least 25 rounds of various calibers hit the businesses, with four rounds striking the Ramada Hotel, the last business targeted.
The assailants stole a vehicle at gunpoint from a couple and abandoned the SUV used in the attacks.
The SUV used by the gunmen had been reported stolen in the United States and was recovered later by police, Garcia Torres said.
Cohou Noh, a taco vendor, was waiting for a taxi with another person on Chichen Itza avenue when he was killed, the AG said.
“The person who was with Valerio said they went to a co-worker’s house to have a few beers after work and headed to the avenue a short time later to catch a taxi,” Garcia Torres said.
“While waiting, they heard several blasts and saw that the shots were coming from a gray (Nissan) Tsuru that was behind a taxi. The young man was hit in the abdomen and died at a hospital,” the Quintana Roo attorney general said.
Investigators have still not linked the two incidents, even though they occurred a short distance from each other, Garcia Torres said. EFE