|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Caribbean

At Least, 16 Dead in Shipwreck off Dominican Republic

SANTO DOMINGO – The death toll from the shipwreck earlier this weekend off the northeastern Dominican Republic has risen to 16, a navy spokesman said on Sunday.

“We have recovered five bodies, four men and a woman, today, and it is still not known how many people are missing,” navy Sgt. Maj. Leonel Regalado Zorrilla, who is taking part in the rescue operation, said.

The boat, which was carrying more than 70 illegal immigrants bound for Puerto Rico, sank early Saturday.

The vessel’s stern began breaking up due to strong waves and the weight of the passengers, causing it to sink off the coast of the northeastern province of Samana and the eastern province of Hato Mayor, survivors said.

The homemade boat sailed early Friday from Maria Trinidad Sanchez province, which is adjacent to Samana.

“Six people, including a woman listed in serious condition, are being treated at the hospital in Sabana de la Mar,” the navy spokesman said.

Navy cutters, a private plane and a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter based in Puerto Rico are taking part in the search and rescue operation, Regalado Zorrilla said.

The bodies of six men and five women were recovered on Saturday from the Caribbean Sea, the navy spokesman said.

“We have orders to continue the search at sea all day, we have good weather today and we hope that more people will be found alive,” Regalado Zorrilla said.

Between 11 and 19 people, including three who were arrested as part of the investigation into the boat’s sinking, were rescued after the shipwreck, emergency management officials said.

One of the survivors, Daniel Cepeda, said he paid 30,000 pesos (about $770), to get on the boat bound for Puerto Rico.

The small boat started to break up and began taking on water, eventually sinking, Cepeda said.

The boat may have been carrying up to 90 people when it sank off the coast of Maria Trinidad Sanchez province, located adjacent to Samana.

Most of the migrants were from the northern part of the Dominican Republic and some had paid up to 40,000 pesos (about $1,000) to be smuggled into Puerto Rico.

Thousands of Dominicans try to reach the U.S. commonwealth of Puerto Rico every year, preferring to risk their lives rather than continue living in poverty in their homeland.

Many migrants drown each year on the treacherous journey across the 100-kilometer (62-mile) Mona Passage on the rickety wooden boats known as “yolas.”
 

 

Xbox Live Gratuit
Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2009 © All rights reserved