CARACAS – Venezuelan Interior Minister Tareck El Aissami announced on Saturday the seizure of 5.052 kilos (5˝ tons) of cocaine in the eastern state of Bolivar, in the biggest drug bust so far this year.
“ONA (National Anti-drug Office) and GNB (Bolivarian National Guard) carried out one of the most IMPORTANT operations in DRUG seizures. In Bolivar 5.052kgs of COCAINE,” the minister wrote on his Twitter account @TareckPSUV.
El Aissami congratulated state security forces for this “blow to drug trafficking,” which, according to the minister, raises to 22 tons the total amount of drugs confiscated in 2011.
“The Policies of the Bolivarian Government in the Fight against DRUG trafficking makes us now the Country setting the standard internationally,” he said in another tweet.
The Bolivarian National Guard commander, Gen. Luis Motta, said – also on Twitter – that the drug bust took place “between the night and dawn” Saturday, and that it was “the biggest this year.”
Also on the social network, Venezuela’s Communications Minister Andres Izarra reported the drug seizure and said that it was “the second biggest confiscation in the history” of Venezuela.
El Aissami said that on Sunday the government will provide more details about the operation, without mentioning further details, such as whether any arrests had been made.