SAN JUAN – Forty-eight arrests is the tally in a new anti-drug operation in Puerto Rico, police superintendent Jose Figueroa Sancha announced Wednesday at a press conference.
He said that as a result of the police operation, carried out in the regions of Aguadilla, Caguas, Mayaguez and Ponce, 48 people were arrested out of the 59 outstanding arrest warrants.
Figueroa Sancha said that the arrested people, from whom assorted quantities of drugs, firearms and vehicles were seized, “will have to face a joint bail of more than $8 million.”
“All the people arrested had been previously taped while they were carrying out drug transactions. In this way, we managed to obtain solid and overwhelming proof assuring ourselves that these people will be tried for the crimes they committed,” he said.
Meanwhile, Attorney General Guillermo Somoza said that the operation conducted on Wednesday was the result of teamwork undertaken to disrupt the sales sites of drugs in Puerto Rico.
Somoza emphasized that the operation was not only focused on disrupting the drug markets on the island but also that it “is part of the coordinated strategy to return confidence to the people of Puerto Rico.” EFE