SAN SALVADOR – Two children are dead and their parents and siblings remain hospitalized after the family ate tortillas made from seed corn that was treated with pesticide, officials at Salvadoran hospitals said Thursday.
“It’s an entire family: papa, mama and five minors. Two of the five minors had already died” by the time medical assistance was available, the deputy director of Jose Molina Martinez General Hospital, Dr. Jose Roberto Gonzalez, told Efe.
The fatalities, ages 10 and 12, died Wednesday after eating the tortillas made from government-issued seed corn, which is treated with the pesticide carbamate.
Gonzalez said the parents remain at Martinez General, while the three other children were taken to Benjamin Bloom, a pediatric hospital in San Salvador.
“The parents are stable, they have improved, though they are still in fragile condition,” the doctor said.
The director of Bloom hospital, Alvaro Salgado, told reporters that one of the three surviving children remains on a respirator in the intensive care unit, while the other two are listed as stable.
Neighbors in the community of Rios de las Cañas, near the Salvadoran capital, told media outlets the father asked his wife to cook the seed corn because the family had nothing else to eat. EFE