BUENOS AIRES – An 8-year-old boy was killed and two others were injured when a wall collapsed as a result of the magnitude-6.1 earthquake that shook Saturday the northern Argentine province of Salta, health officials said.
“The little boy was crushed to death when a wall collapsed and fell on top of him,” Alberto Benicio, director of the Hospital de la Merced, located some 24 kilometers (15 miles) from the provincial capital, said.
“Two other children, who had been playing with the victim, were also admitted to the hospital with injuries and were then taken to another medical center in the capital,” he said.
The temblor also shook the northern provinces of Jujuy and Tucuman, but for the moment no victims or material damages have been reported.
Marcelo Peńa, of the National Earthquake Warning Institute, said that the quake’s epicenter was located at 15 kilometers (9 miles) south of Salta (about 1,500 kilometers (932 miles) from Buenos Aires), in an area close to a mountain range.
“It’s a superficial earthquake,” probably caused by a geological fault line and unrelated to the quake that hit Chile early Saturday – which is to say that is was an “everyday earthquake of the area,” he said.
Journalist Francisco Mattus of Canal 9 in Salta said in a statement on the C5N network that “nothing like this has been felt in this province for 30 years.”
The earthquake felt in the wee hours of Saturday in Chile – a magnitude-8.8 temblor, according to the U.S. Geological Survey – has left 214 people dead, according to official figures.
That quake was also felt in the Argentine provinces of Mendoza, Cordoba, San Juan, Rio Neuquen, Catamarca and even some parts of Buenos Aires, without any injuries or serious material damage having been reported.