|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Peru

Two Dead in Clashes Between Police, Peasants in Peru

LIMA – Two civilians died in clashes between peasants and police in the northern province of Huancabamba, Peruvian media said on Thursday.

The incidents occurred on Wednesday afternoon when police tried to arrest several people suspected in a Nov. 1 attack that left three people dead at a mining camp run by Chinese-owned Rio Blanco Copper.

A resident of the remote town of Cajas Canchaque, Elmer Tocto, told CNR radio that police fired at the villagers when they rose up in defense of the suspects.

In the fighting, two peasants – identified as Castulo Correa Huayama, 39, and Vicente Romero Ramirez, 52 – died from police gunfire and six other townspeople were wounded, among them an 18-year-old man who was hit in the head by a bullet, CNR reported.

Meanwhile, regional police commander Walter Rivera reported that two officers were also wounded and said that his men made use of their weapons in legitimate self-defense, according to CNR.

Gen. Rivera said that the police tried to arrest three people in Cajas Canchaque.

The deaths of the peasants were confirmed by the representative of the National Ombudsman’s Office, Vito Verna, according to reporting by the daily La Republica on Thursday.

For her part, nationalist lawmaker Marisol Espinoza on Thursday said in an interview with RPP radio that Vicente Romero was not shot at the scene of the clashes “but rather on a rural road and in the back.”

The legislator added that last week several peasants from the area had been arrested and interrogated inside Rio Blanco facilities.

Mining operations in the area have drawn opposition from residents.

A non-binding referendum was held in September 2007, with some 95 percent of the votes being cast against the mining project.

The Rio Blanco project, previously known as the Majaz project, was transferred in 2007 by Britain’s Monterrico Metals to China’s Zijin, with total investment reaching $1.4 billion.

The Peruvian government gave Monterrico Metals the green light in 2003 for the Rio Blanco project, but the company failed to win the support of residents, who staged protests the following year that left two dead. EFE
 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved