SANTO DOMINGO – Four Haitians were killed and a fifth wounded this week in an attack by gunmen near the southwestern Dominican city of Jimani, authorities said.
The lone survivor, Mesilis Desil, is recovering in a Barahona hospital after surgeons removed bullets from his stomach, Jimani prosecutor Ruddy Perez Medrano told the press.
The 41-year-old undocumented immigrant was wounded Wednesday in the Madre Fresca community by gunmen who appeared as the five Haitians were burning vegetation to produce charcoal.
Mesnil said that he only remembers when a group of men showed up at the place where he and the others from his country were gathered and opened fire.
Perez Medrano said that at the place where the shooting occurred, the charred bodies of four people including a minor were found.
The prosecutor said that according to preliminary investigations, after the Haitians were gunned down their bodies where thrown into the ovens they had been using to cook the charcoal.
He said that a team of pathologists will go Sunday to Jimani where they will carry out autopsies on the bodies, adding that the Dominican authorities are tracking the perpetrators of the multiple homicide.
The Dominican Republic and Haiti share the Caribbean island of Hispaniola, with Haiti in the western portion. Though both countries are poor, Haiti is destitute, and Haitians cross the border to do work that many Dominicans will not do, such as harvesting sugar cane.
Haitians have been the target of mob violence numerous times in recent years, and the Dominican government has been widely criticized for its treatment of the migrants. EFE