WASHINGTON – Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders said on Tuesday that he would slow down the pace of his election campaign after suffering a heart attack last week.
“But I certainly intend to be actively campaigning. I think we are going to change the nature of the campaign a bit. Make sure that I have the strength to do what I have to do,” Sanders told the media following a visit to his cardiologist in Burlington, Vermont.
Sanders is recuperating at his Vermont residence since Saturday after being discharged from the hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he was admitted for three days following his heart attack.
Sanders, 78, said he would probably not have as many meetings a day as he did earlier.
“We were doing, you know, in some cases five or six meetings a day, three or four rallies and town meetings (...) meetings with groups of people. I don’t think I am gonna do that,” said the Vermont senator, accompanied by his wife.
Although Sander’s campaign stands suspended as of now, he is expected be present at the next Democratic debate on Oct. 15 in Ohio.
The senator is one of the three septuagenarians in the Democrats election race for presidency along with Joe Biden, 76, and Senator Elizabeth Warren, 70.
It is likely that Sanders’ heart attack can now shift the focus of the campaign on the health of the candidates, as it adds to the highly commented gaffes by Biden.
Biden, specifically, leads the Democrat poll followed very closely by Warren, while Sanders is at the third place.
Although the Democrat debates have started a few months ago, they will not face the elections until the Feb. 3 Iowa caucuses, where the primaries will take place ahead of the November 2020 presidential election in which Donald Trump, 73, is seeking re-election.